Sep 4, 2008

A RASTA RUN DI WORLD!

Tepexicuapan, Estado De México was the place to be 29/8/08. Mexico-based Jamaican band Black Star accompanied Brinsley Forde (of Aswad, a famed British reggae band) in a performance that tore the place down. I've never inhaled so much weed smoke in my life, and that is credited to the Mexican Rastas. Yeah, Mexican Rastafarians! I kid you no. I never seen such appreciation for reggae, Rastafarian and Jamaican culture in a long while. I don't even think the Olympic pride of the Jamaicans worldwide can top the Mexican Rastafarian's love, better yet obsession, and support for the music. The dancing made me laugh to myself, they were just in their own world on the dance floor. Some danced in groups, some solo, some just blazed up the chronic and drank beer while busting a wicked move.

Brinsley and Black Star were revered as kings. I also had some groupie action coming my way. I felt like a rock star, they must have thought I was a backup singer or the girlfriend of one of the members. I kept it cool though :-P

Brinsley really gave a spectacular live performance, and kept the vibe going. I found it amazing how he led the Spanish-speaking crowd into a sing along without knowing much Spanish words. You can tell this man is a veteran performer who takes his craft seriously. Black Star is skilled too. I first heard them at the Jamaican Independence Day celebration in Mexico City. I called up one of the members and he took me to their studio where they were watching an Earth, Wind and Fire DVD.

I highly recommend going to your favourite record store and get Aswad records. When Spragga Benz sang: "a Rasta run di world", he knew what's up.




Dont Turn Around - Aswad

No comments:

Post a Comment