Jan 16, 2009

ON SPLENDID MUSICIANS AND BEING AN INDIVIDUAL

I think that the band Coldplay are extremely remarkable. Talk about lyrics and composition t hat speaks! At this moment, if I could choose to be a member of any existing musical group, I would choose Coldplay, and I am not a die hard fan of theirs. I don't own any Coldplay albums nor have I ever seen them perform live. So why this post about Coldplay? Two songs, Violet Hill and Viva La Vida. To me, these songs are instant classics.

I am surprised that Coldplay have been so successful because it is rare that the masses are fed a balanced musical meal. I give kudos to anyone who has released any form of musical work, whether it be mainstream or independent. But, I'll give those people two kudos if they are original. I've yet to hear someone compare Coldplay's music to that of any other existing artistes. Well, maybe they have and I am just living under a bridge. I know that human beings have to classify everything in order for them to feel comfortable and not threatened and if something or someone doesn't fit into any of the many existing genres that something or someone are either ignored, or we jump and create a new genre for that specimen of originality with the intention of copying it.

Musicians that have invaded my playlist that you probably haven't heard:
Avvy
Brother Ali
Betty
Chezidek
Jolie Holland
St. Vincent
Mates of State
Sahbuz
Corday
Red House Painters
Rasputina
Panic and the Rebel Emergency
Sufjan Stevens
Nada Surf
The Weepies
Toshi Reagon

No comments:

Post a Comment